A flat battery is something no driver wants to deal with, but as we emerge from lockdown, a rising number of drivers report flat batteries. So what should you do if that happens? If it happens on the road, it is best to call a trusted mechanic. Should it happen at home, you can opt to jump start your car on your own.
What You Need to Jump Start Your Car
First and foremost, you will need jumper cables and a car with a full battery. Then you will need a second car that will provide the power to jump start your car. It is important you do not use an electric or hybrid vehicle as they can be damaged.
Safety is paramount. Do not smoke near the battery and take off any loose apparel that can get caught. Remove any metal objects near the batteries. This is to prevent fires or possible explosions.
Physically inspect both batteries for any signs of damage, rust, or deformations. If you notice any of these, it is better to call a mechanic to replace to battery to avoid accidents.
Ensure your car is in a safe place and not on a major road. You will need to park both cars close to one another, so that the batteries can be connected by jumper cables easily.
How to Jump Start A Car
- Once the cars are close, turn off the engines and engage the handbrakes.
- Connect the batteries with the read cable to the positive (+) terminals of both batteries.
- Connect the black cable to the negative (-) terminal of the working battery. Then secure the other end to an earthing point away from the fuel system and the flat battery.
- Keep both engines off for 3 minutes, then turn on the engine of the working car. Leave it running for at least a minute.
- Turn on the engine of the car with the flat battery.
- Leave both cars running for 10 minutes and then turn off both engines.
- Disconnect the jumper cables, starting with the earth, negative (-), flat battery positive (+), and the working battery positive (+). Do not let the jumper cables touch one another or the cars while doing this.
- Restart the car. If this does not work, call a professional.
And that is how you can jump start a car. To prevent this situation from happening, you can learn how you can check your car battery.