From the grounds of Affalterbach comes the absolutely stunning New AMG GT Black Series. The Black Series has been a staple in Mercedes-AMG’s top model range since 2006, with the latest Mercedes-AMG GT being the sixth incarnation. It’’s the most powerful Mercedes-AMG V8, to date.
The new GT Black Series engine is based on the AMG 4.0-liter V8 biturbo engine that churns 730 hp at 6700-6900 rpm and delivers a maximum torque of 800 Nm at 2000-6000 rpm. A 0 – 100 km/h dash takes just 3.2 seconds, while top speed is checked at 325 km/h. The powertrain includes a smooth shifting modified AMG SpeedShift DCT 7G transmission, that transfers power to the rear wheels. As part of the Black Series range, the new GT has a black engine badge to differ it from the GTR and GTC.
Through smart crankshaft management, Mercedes-AMG engineers are able to make the V8 more powerful and efficient. The cross-plane crankshaft used in the newest Black Series GT boosts not only power but offer smoothness and high torque, as well as an exhaust sound that uniquely resonates Mercedes-AMG. The other crankshaft option is the flat crankshaft. We shall not bore our readers with technicalities of how the crankshafts work.
Inheriting the GT R track record, the GT Black Series shares similarities to the AMG GT3/GT4 race cars. Like the race cars, the new GT Black’s front fascia features radiator trim with vertical struts in dark chrome, air inlets, carbon fiber splitter and wheel arches, sickle-shaped flics pairing. All these upgrades are meant to improve aerodynamics and make the car stick to the ground when hitting top end speeds.
Another direct derivative from motorsport is the new carbon-fiber bonnet, with two large exhaust air outlets made from black finished carbon surfaces.
At the side, the main highlights are the larger and wider sill panels with black carbon-fiber elements, which merge into vertical blades at the front and rear. Additional cooling air ducts are integrated into the side sill panels for brake cooling at the rear axle. From the rear, the apron features a large diffuser, two rounded twin tailpipes, flaps and the aerofoil concept in black, bolted on the carbon fiber tailgate.
Mercedes-AMG exterior summary
- New, significantly larger radiator trim with vertical struts in dark chrome
- New, larger front apron with an additional manually adjustable front splitter and front diffuser
- New carbon-fiber bonnet with two large air outlets
- New carbon-fiber front wings
- Lightweight carbon-fiber roof with sunken center
- Larger side sill panels with carbon-fiber elements
- Black painted carbon-fiber tailgate with small spoiler lip and larger rear windscreen made of lightweight thin glass
- New rear apron with visible carbon-fiber elements, double diffuser, two rounded tailpipes
- Side wheel arch ventilators
- New, two-piece carbon-fiber rear aerofoil with flaps
- Standard AMG 10-spoke forged wheels in matt black
- New, exclusive AMG magmabeam special paintwork
- Michelin Pilot Sport Cup 2 R MO tyres (285/35 ZR 19 front, 335/30 ZR 20 rear)
The new GT Black Series has a ‘racettrack ready’ interior, featuring Nappa leather and Dinamica mibrofiber. A summary of interior highlights is listed below for easy reference:
- Exclusive nappa leather/DINAMICA microfiber in black with orange contrasting topstitching
- Matt black carbon-fiber trim
- AMG Interior Night Package
- AMG carbon-fiber bucket seats with orange contrasting topstitching or AMG Performance seats
- AMG Performance steering wheel in DINAMICA microfiber with AMG buttons and Black Series badge
- Lightweight door panels in DINAMICA microfiber with orange contrasting topstitching
- Instrument panel in DINAMICA microfiber with orange contrasting topstitching
- Optional AMG Track Package with lightweight titanium roll-over protection
- Additional four-point seatbelts and 2 kg fire extinguisher
- 12..3-inch Instrument cluster with three AMG display styles: “Classic”, “Sporty” or “Supersport”
- 10.25-inch multimedia monitor on the center console
- V-shaped center console with colored display buttons
The new GT relies on ceramic high-performance compound brakes for dependable stooping power. The brakes come in black painted callipers and white lettering. In addition, special brake pads and discs together with modified brake cooling guarantee optimal and non-fading deceleration as well as high-precision braking.
The GT Black Series has AMG coil-over suspension with adaptive adjustable damping. Basically, the setup enables high cornering speeds and gives the driver optimum road feel when cornering at the extreme limits. On adaptive damping, when AMG Drive is activated using the AMG Dynamic Select, driver can access three drive modes: “Comfort”, “Sport” and “Sport Plus”.
To make the suspensions light, front axle is fitted with a dual adjustable torsion bar made of lightweight carbon fiber. The rear’s got steel with tube design and is triple adjustable.
Other suspension measures include the wide track at the front and rear, and the manually adjustable camber at the front and rear axle.
Built for the racetracks
For use on racetracks in ESP OFF mode, the AMG Traction Control enables the driver to get individual support for controlling the immense power of the Black Series. For even more racetrack fun, the AMG Track Package is available for selected major markets. It comprises a roll-over protection system, 4-point seatbelts for driver and front passenger, and a 2 kg fire extinguisher (both items exclusively designed for racetrack use).