In the advent of the Covid-19 outbreak, Kia has released the all-new Sorento in its fourth-generation rendition. The Kia Sorento is the brand’s flagship SUV and part of its global SUV line-up which includes Seltos, Stonic, Telluride and Sportage. Two of the models are available for the Malaysian market, distributed by Naza Kia Malaysia.
Completely redesigned from ground up, the New Sorento gets a more refined, mature and desirable exterior, if you’re a fan of mid- and large-SUVs. Inputs by Kia’s global Trinity (Korea, Europe and U.S.) gave the New Sorento its ‘refined boldness’ inspiration. With more contemporary geometric details and more swept-back, elongated proportions, the New Sorento is considered more desirable than its predecessor.
At the front, the New Kia Sorento has a wider Tiger-nose grille and wrapped around headlights. The lights have a new ‘tiger eyeline’ LED daytime running light. Meantime, the lower bumper has a wide, rectangular air intake to go with wing-shaped air curtains and skid plates. The New Sorento is wider by 10mm (1,900 mm) than the third-generation Sorento. The side is bolder, longer by 10mm (now 4,810 mm) for obvious creature comfort reasons, while wheelbase is extended by 35mm to 2,815 mm. The New Sorento has a 10mm height increase too. To highlight its SUV character, Kia gave more character lines on the C- and D-pillar, a trailing edge of the hood that wraps around the front wings to the rear lights. Vertical rearlights and a wider look dominate the back portion of the New Sorento. The SUV comes with 10 color options and wheel sizes ranging from 17- to 20-inch.
What’s new in the New Sorento?
Inside, the fourth-generation Sorento has a heads-up cabin with emphasis on comfort and technology.
- Twin digital displays: 12.3-in instrument cluster. 10.25-in touchscreen (optional) and standard 8-in display audio system
- Vertical ventilation stack with a chrome-effect surround
- HUD (heads-up display)
- Mood Lighting system
- Wireless smartphone charger
- 12-speaker BOSE surround-sound system
- Choice of fabric, leather, two-tone or Nappa upholstery
- Boot space of 821 liters (7-seater version) or 910 liter (5-seater)
- Grab handle for third-row passengers
- UVO Connect telematics
- USB sockets on 2nd and 3rd rows
The New Kia Sorento comes in hybrid and diesel variants. Take the Sorento Hybrid for instance, the 1.6-liter T-GDi is paired to a 1.49 kWh lithium-ion polymer battery pack and 44.2 kW electric motor to enable 230 ps and 350 Nm torque. Power is sent through the six-speed automatic transmission. The other engine option includes thw 202ps.440Nm 2.2-liter diesel, paired to an 8-speed wet dual-clutch auto transmission.
The new engine of the 2020 Sorento features aluminium block, which is 19.5 kg lighter than the cast iron block of its predecessor. In all, the new engine is 38.2 kg lighter compared to that found in the third-generation Sorento.
Suspension on the New Sorento
- Revised fully-independent suspension
- New Bodyshell with higher Advanced High-Strength Steel and hot-stamped steel contents
- New All Terrain mode
- Optional all-wheel drive system
The New Sorento is loaded when it comes to ensuring top safety for occupants, spearheaded by Kia’s Advanced Driver Assistance Systems (ADAS).
- Forward Collision-avoidance Assist (FCA)
- Blind-spot View Monitor (BVM)
- Surround View Monitor (SVM)
- Blind-spot Collision-avoid Assist (BCA)
- Intelligent Speed Limit Assist (ISLA)
- Smart Cruise Control with Stop&Go (SCC)
- Navigation-based SCC (NSCC)
- Lane Following Assist (LFA)
- Driver Attention Warning (DAW)
- Highway Driving Assist (HDA)
- Kia’s ‘level two’ autonomous driving technology
- Lane Following Assist (LFA)
- Rear View Monitor (RVM) with Reverse Parking Collision-Avoidance Assist (PCA) and Rear Cross-traffic Collision-avoidance Assist (RCCA)
- Remote Smart Parking Assist (RSPA)
- Seven airbags
- Vehicle Stability Management (VSM)
- Electronic Stability Control systems
- Multi-collision Brake system
Kia estimates the roll out of the New Sorento Hybrid to Europe first then the rest of the world in due time. Kia will announce the New Sorento Plug-in Hybrid variant in late 2020.